Don’t know where to start packing your house?
Let us give you some tips to reduce your stress and get started
1) Make a packing list
2) Create a handy packing supplies basket - Put all of the things that you need together into the basket. You can carry it around with you and have everything at your fingertips. E.g. masking tape, labels, scissors, markers, zip lock bag, screw driver and a pen knife.
3) Pack early - The time you require to pack all your items depends on how much things you have. For a large house, two months should be enough if you pack one box a day. For smaller homes, one month should be just fine. However, this is not an exact number, but you get the idea.
4) Start with rooms you need least - Makes sense to pack the items you don’t use on a daily basis first. Seasonal items you’re currently not using such as blankets, winter coats and Christmas lights are perfect examples.
5) Pack one room at a time - One of the most important packing tip which most people often forget. Doing this will help you stay organized and will later allow the movers, or anyone unloading, to know which box goes where.
6) Pack the items you will need FIRST in a clear plastic bin.
7) Donate your unwanted or old items to charity or sell them online, which is a popular option nowadays.
8) Do not exceed the limit of 15kg for a box - You might get a back injury or one of the boxes might not be able to withstand the weight. Pack light items in large boxes and heavy items in small boxes for easy transport.
9) Fill up the empty gaps in the cartons - Use old newspapers, packing papers, or just old rags to fill the gaps in the boxes. This should secure the items for the ride.
10) Label your boxes - Write the contents on each box with a marker. Write on the sides of the boxes, not on their topsides, so that you will still be able to see the words when they are stacked. Use a different coloured marker for every room for easy identifications.
11) Put heavier boxes on the bottom - By putting your heavy boxes underneath the lighter boxes, you ensure no breakable items will get crushed during the move.
12) Tape the boxes well - Use a couple of pieces of tape to close the bottom and top seams, then double wrap all the way around the box’s top and bottom edges, where the stress is concentrated.
13) Take a photo of how your electronics are connected so that you can remember how and where all the wires go.
14) Vacuum seal your out-of-season clothing.
15) Wrap your breakables (dishes, glasses, etc.) with bubble wrap.
16) Pack plates vertically in boxes as they will be less likely to break.
17) Double box your valuables belongings to prevent breakage during your move.
18) Use zip lock bags to hold the small parts of things that you have to take apart, like curtain rods or mounted flat-screen TVs.
19) Purchase your last grocery two weeks prior to moving.
20) Defrost Your Refrigerator - Plan ahead! Don’t forget to defrost, towel dry, and clean your refrigerator 24-36 hours before the big move. This will help to prevent a stinky, wet mess.
By following these tips , hope you will have an enjoyment packing moment, while looking forward to move into the new house which we have design for you.